So here we are rounding off 2022 with a Guru of the moment, Elon Musk.
Trust us, we want to stop hearing about him as much as you do but we have long had him scheduled as the finale for the tech season. Unfortunately, the Decoding the Gurus curse (most of the people we cover quickly become worse and spiral into conspiracism) seems to have become more potent. Now we don't even have to cover a Guru just announce that we will and the spiral occurs. And with Elon what a spiral it has been.
But we *try* not to dwell much on his recent antics and instead focus on decoding our chosen material. In this specific case, it is a recent wide-ranging interview conducted by a fellow billionaire and large Tesla investor, Ron Baron. This proved to be one of the most sycophantic interviews we have ever examined, which is a real achievement given the competition.
Musk himself is an interesting figure. Softly spoken, prone to mumbling, he can even seem self-effacing, and yet he is also a prolific hype man, prone to hyperbole, and self-mythologizing. Is he the master engineer and polymath he claims? The ultimate conman? And how has he become the guru for so many gurus? Join us as we try to disentangle the Elon puzzle box and see if there is actually anything interesting inside.
Oh and also Happy New Year! Remember to keep an eye out for those pesky Distributed Idea Suppression Complexes.
- Ron Baron Interview Nov 2022 with Elon Musk: Source for the Decoding
- Thunderfoot Video: Why you should NEVER believe Elon Musk!
- Common Sense Skeptic: Debunking Elon Musk (Part 1 & Part 2)
- Guardian Article on Musk's comments on the Diver involved in the Thai Cave Rescue
- Futurism Article on Elon Musk promising Full-Self-Driving Cars Every Year since 2014
- Rolling Stone: Elon Musk Keeps Taking Twitter Advice From Right-Wing Trolls
- Article from buildd.co on Tesla's Marketing Strategy